Jason T. Wheeler - CFP®, AIF®, CLU®, ChFC®
CEO and Wealth Advisor
Jason is CEO, wealth advisor and founding partner of Pathfinder Wealth Consulting. He has been in the financial services industry since 1999.
Jason was born in Dayton, Ohio but grew up in Eastern North Carolina. He graduated magna cum laude from the University of North Carolina Wilmington in 1999 with a BS in finance and an MBA in 2003. Rob Penn, Jason’s business partner, hired him in 1999 and the two began the successful business relationship, highlighted by the formation of Pathfinder Wealth Consulting in 2005.
Jason’s passion for the business begins with helping clients, working with select families to accomplish their personal and business goals. Jason’s role as CEO includes providing strategic direction for the firm, managing the team, leading growth initiatives, and enhancing operations.
Jason resides in Wilmington with his wife, Ashley and his daughter, Merritt. Their family also includes a Labrador, Jedi. Ashley is a Speech Language Pathologist and owns Therapy Connections, Inc., a pediatric speech therapy company. Jason spends his free time with his family and their endless activities. He plays average golf as often as possible, coaches youth sports teams to minimal success, waits patiently for his invitation to Jedi training and hopes that maybe this year he will have more time for surfing, boating, fishing and all the water activities that the family loves. Jason considers himself a lifelong learner and is always ready to try a new activity, travel to a new spot or delve into a new subject.
Professional Certifications, Licenses, and Designations:
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Professional
- Chartered Financial Consultant®
- Accredited Investment Fiduciary®
- Chartered Life Underwriter®
- North Carolina Life Insurance Agent
- North Carolina Accident & Health or Sickness Agent
- North Carolina Medicare Supplement & Long-Term Care Agent
- Financial Planning Association, Member
- Financial Services Institute, Member
- Commonwealth Advisory Council, Past Member (2013-2014)
- Commonwealth National Conference Speaker and Guest Panelist (2015-2020)
- Cameron School of Business Executive Advisory Board, Chair (2015-Present)
- Wilmington Economic Scorecard Committee, Chair (2017-Present)
- UNCW Foundation Board, Chair (2011-2018)
- Cape Fear Community College Foundation, Board Member (2012-2018)
- Economics and Finance Dept. Advisory Board, Past Chair (2015-2017)
- Wilmington Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2012-2017)
- Cape Fear Literacy Council, Finance Committee Member (2013-2015)
- Adjunct Faculty, Corporate Finance (2008-2011)
- Leadership Wilmington Alumnus (2011)
- UNCW Professional MBA Strategic Planning Committee (2009)
- UNCW Alumni Association Board of Directors, Past Chair (2003-2009)
- UNCW MBA Association President (2002-2003)
Awards & Recognition:
- 2018-2022 Forbes Best in State Wealth Advisor
- 2014 Five Star℠ Wealth Management Professional
- 2012 Cameron School of Business Alumnus of the Year
- 2011 Leadership Wilmington Outstanding Class Member
- 2004 University of North Carolina Wilmington Young Alumnus of the Year
- 2003 Outstanding MBA Student University of North Carolina Wilmington
*Data provided by SHOOK® Research, LLC., as of 6/30/21. Forbes Best-in-State Wealth Advisors ranking was developed by SHOOK Research and is based on in-person, virtual, and telephone due diligence meetings to measure best practices; also considered are: client retention, industry experience, credentials, review of compliance records, firm nominations; and quantitative criteria, such as: assets under management and revenue generated for their firms. Investment performance is not a criterion because client objectives and risk tolerances vary, and advisors rarely have audited performance reports. Overall, 34,925 advisors were considered, and 6,585 (18.8 percent of candidates) were recognized. This recognition and the due-diligence process conducted are not indicative of the advisor’s future performance. Your experience may vary. Winners are organized and ranked by state. Some states may have more advisors than others. You are encouraged to conduct your own research to determine if the advisor is right for you. SHOOK does not receive a fee in exchange for rankings. The full methodology that Forbes developed in partnership with SHOOK Research is available here.
**Based on 10 objective eligibility and evaluation criteria, including a minimum of 5 years as an active credentialed financial professional, favorable regulatory and complaint history, accepts new clients, client retention rates, client assets administered, education, and professional designations. 2,369 Charlotte wealth managers were considered for the award; 274 (12 percent of candidates) were named 2014 Five Star Wealth Managers. These awards are not indicative of the wealth manager’s future performance. Your experiences may vary. For more information, please visit www.fivestarprofessional.com.